NAME academy gives a new identity to talented Children
The students delved deeper into the lanes of Kolkata and handpicked around three hundred students during the first round of auditions. A second round of auditions toned them down to a hundred and thirty-five, still a number large enough that was hidden in the shadows of their shelter homes and NGO’s had Team Pehchaan not strived to pursue them. The children were selected and honed in four categories- dance, singing, dramatics and art and craft. Brand Head and lead mentor, Ms Sneha Maloo comments, “Every individual comes from a certain background, but their Identity, is ever- evolving. A person’s real Pehchaan lies in the talent that the person possesses and what they are capable of. Through our platform we wanted these children to showcase their talent. We are thankful to Kolkata who came in big numbers to watch the show. Now onward these children will be remembered for their singing/ dancing/ creativity and not their background. And that fulfils the objective of our program Pehchaan.” According to Ashish Thakur student of NAME and core team member, “Pehchaan has been an enriching experience for everyone involved. We not just discovered talents, but we discovered a whole new world that exists around us. This experience will help us in being grounded and I really look forward to work more towards this section of society in future. And, yes! A Big thank you to National Academy of Media and Events for taking us students through this lovely project.”
An initiative as unique as Pehchaan received several industry supports and above all the support of the people of the city. Thus, in a house-full auditorium began the final presentation of the skills of these children in the finale event. As all good gestures start with the remembrance of the Almighty, similarly, the event started with a Ganesh Vandana and the lighting of the lamp. Mr Mantry, along with the team and Pehchaan talents lighted the lamp in order to declare the event open. After a brief introduction and sharing of experience by the core team, the programme moved on to welcome the most awaited stars of the evening- these children who worked tirelessly to hone their skills under the mentoring partners of this event.
- A semi-classical dance greeted the eyes of the audience. It was a mix of two of the most famous songs- Mohe Rang Do Laal and Kahe Ched Ched Mohe. The children were trained by Rupa Das.
- This was followed by the group singing performance. The singers were mentored by The Academy for Musical Excellence. They had combined three popular songs – Give Me Some Sunshine, Bum Bum Bole and Badal Mein Paun Hai – to deliver an amazing performance.
- A group dance performance based on the theme of Dangal versus Sultan glued the audiences to their seats. This was mentored by The Sangvi Dance Academy.
- Art and Crafts made by these talented children under the tutelage of Badal Saha from icanflyy were exhibited outside the auditorium.
- Mad About Drama (M.A.D) who were the official drama training mentors for the event curated a short play called ‘Beauty with Grace’. This short play came with a great message. It gave the viewers a lesson in humility – a virtue which one must never forget.
- One of the most awaited performances of the evening was a special act curated by the Sangvi Dance Academy – a tribute to the Ganesh Talkies Flyover mishap. It was a very emotional performance and brought back memories of that fateful day to many in the audience.
- The finale act of the evening was choreographed by Abhishek- a dance performance based on the theme of the event – Pehchaan.
Felicitation was done by Mrs Anju Mantry, trustee of the institution. She gave out medals and certificates to all the talents. Gifts were distributed to the students by the gift sponsors – Citimart, O’Shea,Ganesh and RAPHAAA. A formal Vote of Thanks, followed by a photo session including the children, the core team and the mentors brought this beautiful evening to an end. This event would not have possible without a few other partners like the Radio partner 91.9 friends FM, where some of the singing talents even performed on air with Jimmy Tangree; Production Support from Friends of Shiva; Grooming partners , Head Turners; Happiness Partners Ganesh; Outdoor Media Support , KARUKRIT and ENKON .
With the end of the first edition of Pehchaan, the city has awakened to this beautiful cause and with curious hearts and minds awaits the next chapter. Mr Amaresh Kumar Singh, Co-founder of NAME, said,“ I am proud that our event-management students have organized such an event, that has added value to the society. NAME will organize Pehchaan every year, gifting this unique platform to more hidden talents of our society. Name will continue to guide its students towards taking such initiative in future as well.” The show has motivated people to come forward and sponsor further training for these kids. Chaukhat, an organisation is sponsoring dance training for one year for three kids. NAME will continue to work towards organising PEHCHAAN every year , in a larger scale and uncover more hidden talents .